Wednesday, June 27, 2012

My God Is Mighty To Save

Yesterday was an adventure.  In truth, everyday in Haiti is an adventure.  The interns have coined the phrase "Bien Veni Ayiti" or "Welcome to Haiti."   We use it whenever something happens that would only happen in Haiti.  For example, it was said the other day when I hung my freshly washed skirt to dry, and a bird pooped on it.  Well yesterday was filled with a lot of these moments.  We went to Ansefalour and hit roadblock after roadblock.  It led to a lot of frustration for me.  However on the way home, I just felt at peace about everything.  If something good was not happening in Ansefalour, the devil would not be fighting us.  He would not be creating all of these roadblocks if hearts were not being changed.  Now to the adventure part.  On the way home, one of the tires on our tap tap blew up.  Our driver decided to keep driving.  When the driver turned the truck off to coast down the mountain, the girls in my group started to get scared.  They started to sing "Jesus, Take the Wheel" which was actually a little comical to me.  Then the truck completely stopped.  The driver opened the hood, and oil was spewing everywhere.  He tried to fix this by beating on the engine with a rock and tying a vine around it.  Needless to say, it took five minutes for us to break down for good.  The mission sent a new truck, and we eventually made it home.  Boy was I glad to be home.

I also feel the need to blog about how I have been blessed by the Miriam Center this week.  The Miriam Center is our home for special needs children.  I recognize that I do not have the gift of working with the children of the Miriam Center.  It is simply not my forte.  A couple of days ago my group took some of the children to our special needs playground.  While we were there, I was feeling very homesick and simply out of place.  I took my bible and went by myself to pray.  While I was praying, Jilbert, a special needs boy came up to me and asked what was wrong.  Before I could say anything, he gave me a big hug.  I cannot express what went through my head, but my eyes were definitely opened. then the next day, Joseph, another special needs boy, grabbed my hand and painted my nails.  What a humbling experience.  I just feel completely blessed and humbled by these amazing children.

I want to finish this blog by talking about something I am surrounded by each and every day.  Miracles.  How cool is it to be living in a place where you can see miracles each and every day?  A couple days ago my group went to do grocery ministry.  We went to the market, picked out some food, and let God lead us to a house.  The house he led us to said they hadn't eaten in three or four days.  I have no doubt in my mind that God led us to their house.  They needed food, and through Him, we were able to provide it.  We also had our plans changed the day we were supposed to go to the brothel.  We had everything planned, but the girls were asleep.  Instead of wasting away the morning, my group went to the town square and sang and played guitar.  It is an incredible experience to sing "My God is Mighty to Save" in the center of Saint-Louis-du-Nord.  It was a moment that I will never forget.  Today, a couple of people climbed to the top of the church.  It was breathtaking to look out on all of God's creation.  To see the mountains beyond mountains and the beautiful blue ocean that my God created.  I just loved seeing the beauty, even in the midst of such hardships.  I love this country, I love the people, and I am so thankful that God sent me here this summer.  Thank you for your prayers and your words of encouragement.  They mean the world to me!

4 comments:

  1. Love you, Tore!! I love reading how the Lord is working in haiti!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful word pictures you're creating for all of us, Tore. Thank you for having a heart for international ministry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tore, God's miracles do abound. I see them in your love for doing His work in Haiti and John's recovery and Chris's growth and maturity...and that is just in your family:) Thank you for being there I too share faith in Christ. (I am thankful that you are safe too!!!) Much love to you and to your sisters in Christ and those you are serving, Debynie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tore thank you for sharing with us i seem more each day what life is like there for you.and for getting to see haitti thru your eyes.it seems their hearts are so open to the gospel i pray america will also bend their knees to jesus and listen to his call,before it is to late.i am praying for this country it seems that those who have so little sometimes have the most.God bless you sweetie
      lov nan

      Delete