Friday, June 15, 2012

Highs and Lows

These last couple of days have been filled with ups and downs.  If you are friends with my mom on facebook, you probably saw that I helped deliver a baby!  It was an amazing experience.  However, I am fairly certain I never want to witness it again.  The lady I helped was 18, and she delivered her baby with no medication.  She spent the majority of her time in labor in a room with no air conditioning.  This lady hardly made a peep during the whole process. I definitely have a new definition of strength.  Although I felt a little quesy during the birth, being able to hold and pray over the baby girl moments after she was born is something I will never forget.

Unfortunately, I sae the other end of the spectrum today.  We were hanging out upstairs when we heard screams coming from the clinic downstairs.  We all went downstairs, and there was a woman wailing.  The interpreters told us her husband had just died.  It was absolutely heartbreaking to see. One of the interns said, "it is amazing how hard death can be evem when you do not know the person."  That is so true.  My heart breaks and my prayers go out for that woman.

This morning was also tough as our first group left. One of the interns had to return home for a wedding, and saying goodbye was a lot harder than I thought it would be.  I am amazed at how this group of staff has become like a family.  However, I did have a wonderful morning with the staff.  Today was James's birthday.  A couple of us went to a little Haitian resturant wih James and his brother.  I loved spending time with him, and growing closer to the other staff.

Tomorrow morning we are headed to the Mole for a couple days.  I am excited to see this new ministry, but it is going to be a long seven and a half hours on the back of a military truck.  I will update you when I return!

1 comment:

  1. Love you Tore! I'm so glad you've been able to update your blog so far. We're praying for you!

    ReplyDelete