Thursday, June 21, 2012

Big Expectations

What a crazy week!  I want to start with our Mole trip.  I had so much fun.  The Mole was absolutely beautiful, and it was great to get away for a couple days.  We spent a lot of time at the beach, and we just hung out and relaxed.  My favorite part of our Mole trip was the lesson in voodoo that we got.  Jodi Castillo shared some of the history and some of her personal experiences with voodoo.  The stories brought me to tears.  I feel like I understand the culture so much more.  I was raised going to Sunday School, and a lot of these children were raised going to voodoo rituals.  It is ingrained in their heads as the thing to put their faith in.  It really reminded me how important ministering to the children is.  

The new groups have come in, and things have been crazy busy.  We had about 140 peoplecome in one night.  I learned the definition of an imtern: running around like a chicken with its head cut off while answering a million questions. It was stressful at the time, but it was kind of funny looking back on it.  I definitely understand why we were told to pray for patience and unconditional love.  

I was talking with one of the missionaries the other day, and he really challenged me.  He talked about how easy it is to get comfortable and put our faith in a little God with little expections.  However, our God is a big God with big expectations.  We need to wake up every morning asking God to do something huge: something we cannot do without Him.  God had me step out of my comfort zone today.  The mission has an agreement with the biys outside the gate.  The boys are allowed to sell bracelets if they attend a Bible study.  Well today was time for the Bible study, and no one had prepared anything.  I jumped up and said I would do it, and within five minutes I was in front of the boys.  I had nothing prepared and was way out of my comfort zone.  However, I was able to share with them Romans 12:12 and what thay verse meant to me.  More importantly, God really revealed to me how much I love those boys while I was up there.  I knew I loved them, but I did not realize the extent of that until I was up there.  They are one of the reasons why I am here.

Unfortunately the power is about to go off, so I must go.  I miss everyone dearly.  Thank you for your prayers!

2 comments:

  1. Praying for you! God is using you already, so thankful that you stepped out of your comfort zone to share Christ with those boys! Praying God will use you in a BIG way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tore, this time will completely change your life; I can see, from your words, that God is doing a great work in your heart. We love you so very much and are looking forward to Mark and Chandler's arrival tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete