Wednesday, August 1, 2012

The Little Things

Today I received a note that meant something indescribable to me.  The note said:

"From: Jims To: Torey I love you Torey.  Today give me a big hug.  If you dont give me a big hug than you will be in big truble.  Frend for life.  Win are you going to go home.  I love you Torey so much.  You were sick and you dint tell me.  I pray for you.  You pray for me.  Bey bey."


This note is from James, or Jims, my very first Haitian friend.  It seems like just yesterday that I was getting off the bus from Ansefalour, and I saw him for the first time.  Being able to continue my relationship with him has been the biggest blessing this summer.  I cannot believe how much he has grown up these past three years.  This note meant the world to me because it showed me that I meant as much to him, as he means to me.  This little note written on a ripped up paper with crayon is the greatest treasure I will take home from Haiti with me.

Early Monday morning the groups left.  They took with them half of our interns.  It seems so quiet here without the groups, and it also feels like a piece of us is missing without the interns.  I already miss them like crazy, but I am so thankful I was able to spend the summer with them.

Today was such a fun day for the interns that are left.  Melonnie (the travel coordinator) told us about a hike she wanted us to go on.  She told us it was going to be super easy, more like a walk.  We went, and it was beautiful.  However, we spent the whole time walking on mud and wet rocks which were extremely slippery.  Melonnie was the first one to wipe out, and it all went downhill from there.  Kelly wiped out next and landed on a thorn bus.  Caitlin asked her if she had thorns in her butt, and we all cracked up deeming that as something you only ask in Haiti.  At one point, we were on a really steep part.  Morgan started sliding down and yelled "nooo, I didn't want to fall!!" On the same slope, I started sliding which made Caitlin slide.  Instead of being a gentleman and helping, Spencer moved out of the way.  I am pretty sure everyone fell, slipped, or tripped multiple times throughout the trip.  I also fell once we were back on the main road.  The Haitians thought it was hilarious, and one girl followed me announcing I was the girl who just fell.  I truly do not think that I have ever laughed as hard as I did today.  When we got back, we were able to eat a delicious meal at a restaurant about forty minutes away.  The food was amazing, but the company was even better.  I am so thankful for this group of people that have become my family.

I cannot believe I only have ten days left in Haiti.  It seems so crazy to me that my time is coming to an end.  I feel like I just got here to start my summer.  Today I was reminded of the greatest of God in all the little things.  From a note, to laughter, to yummy food, to silly songs, to beautiful sunsets, to passing a revival on the way home.. God is in everything.  This country, full of evil and darkness, is even more full with the greatness of the one and true God, and oh how He loves us.  My challenge for you is to seek Him in the little things.

2 comments:

  1. That note has to be one of the sweetest things I've ever read. I'm glad you continue to allow the Lord to work in you and through you on this trip. I too am amazed that your time there is drawing to a close.
    Please continue to keep us posted these next 10 days. I live in Haiti through your eyes! Miss you Tore - can't wait to see you when you get home.
    Prayerfully,
    Lori
    PS - Saw your Mom and Chris for a split second at Jules' wedding. Can you believe she's married???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww Tore!! You're gonna make me cry :( haha I've been reading your blog and can see God at work in you and everyone there so much! Miss you guys and Haiti and I really miss James! I wanna get back down there so soon so bad! You'll be in my prayers Tore! Especially these last two weeks because I know it'll be hard for you leaving. :( sorry to bring that up haha. Well just wanted to say that, but hopefully see you again some day! Which I'm sure I will! This is Trevor Rapp by the way!

    ReplyDelete