Thursday, July 19, 2012

The Blessings of Typhoid

Well I figured it's past time to blog again. I feel like I don't have anything to blog about though. The day my mom left, I woke up with horrible stomach cramps. I had them all day, but I didn't think much about it. I went to bed early and woke up around 10pm. I felt like I had no energy whatsoever. I didn't even feel like I could keep my eyes open. Someone got Lisa for me, and she took me down to our urgent treatment clinic. The nurses put an iv in me and gave me some Motrin. They put me in a room to sleep and a couple hours later the fever started. I was lying awake in this unairconditioned room with an iv, and I was scared to death. I had no idea what was going on, or why I felt so bad. I reached a level of having to rely on God that I have never reached before. The next morning they took my blood and discovered I had typhoid and anemia. 

In all honesty, I couldn't have gotten sick at a better time. We have been on a break, so we had no groups here on campus.  At first, I was bummed about being left on campus while the other interns went out to do things, but it has been a blessing in disguise. I have been able to connect with some of the staff members here, and I would not have had that opportunity if I had not been sick. I was also able to rest and recover from the craziness of the last group. 

While I am thankful for the chance to rest, I was beyond excited to finally get off campus the other day. We went to Ansefalour and went to some of the different voodoo sights. We went to the place where the rainbow serpent lives. We also went into the house of spirits, or what I would call a big bat cave. It amazes me how people can put their faith in things that seem so bizarre to me. I am glad we went because I feel like it is important to understand the spiritual warfare we are up against. It is eyeopening to be in a country where spiritual warfare is so prevalent. I know we have it at home, but it is not as blatantly obvious as it is here. 

Throughout the summer, the interns have been participating in survivor. We have two different teams and have been doing challenges all summer. Yesterday, we had two challenges. The first was we drew a number and were given that number plate. We had to eat whatever was on our plate, and the first team done won. My team lucked out, and our plates were a sandwich, cookies, and cheese. The other team had spam, fish, and Cheetos. Of course, my team won! The second challenge was super gross. We had to partner up with someone from the other team. We had a tube with a raw egg in the middle. We had to blow the end of the tube until someone got egg sprayed on them. I argued the fact my lung capacity was down from being sick, but I still had to compete. I lost, but I ended up spraying my opponent (Spencer) with the raw egg. Even though I lost, he was one with egg all over his clothes. It made losing worth it! While the challenges are sometimes gross, they have been a lot of fun and allowed the interns to bond together. 

We have a couple more days before the next group gets here. I am looking forward to spending time with the interns and staff, but I am really excited for the next group to get here! I am sad that I only have two groups left this summer, but I am excited to pour out into them. I ask for your prayers for the health of all the interns and staff as our summers are wrapping up. Thank you for all the encouraging notes I have gotten this last week. They have definitely made being sick a little easier!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you are on the mend!! Love you Tore!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so thankful that you saw the gift despite the attack. Enjoy your next group!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tore, I am so proud of you attitude and most of all your reliance on God. You are an inspiration to many right now and showing the Glory of God in a mighty way. We are praying for you as you finish your time there and God continues to show you the path for your future...


    love,
    Lala, Eas, Sam and David

    ReplyDelete