Thursday, May 31, 2012

Intern Training

I cannot believe I have been in Haiti a week!  It feels like I have been here forever, but at the same time it feels like I got here yesterday.

Training has been going good.  We have been traveling to the different places we will take groups and learning some of the history. We went to Ansefelour the other day.  We hiked up to the voodoo monument and went into the voodoo temple.  I have been there twice before, but I still get goosebumps.  The spiritual warfare is so real there.  We have also visited a couple jails and brothels in different towns.  Each one breaks my heart.  Today we went to Port-de-Paix.  My favorite part was when we toured a school.  The kids were chanting "blan" which means white, but they were so excited.  At one point I had more kids than I could count attached to me.  I love just being able to interact with them.

Speaking of interacting, my Creole is getting a little better.  We have had a couple of lessons, and the kids in the area have been a huge help.  However, I still have a long way to go.

We had quiet time at the waterfall yesterday. We all looked for verses that had to do with grace, compassion, patience, and unconditional love.  My prayer is that I will be filled with these qualities as we prepare for the incoming teams.  I am so excited for them, but I am very nervous at the same time!

I am missing all of my friends and family like crazy, but I know I could not be in a better place.  This is definitely the summer of a lifetime.

9 comments:

  1. You are covered in prayer, girlie! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tore,
    I am very impressed by what you are doing and how you seem to be living in God's will with that dual sense of trepidation and excitement. I think you will do really great down there. I know that Laurie knows you more than I do but I really enjoy reading about you adventure in Haiti.
    On another note, we really wanted to support your trip but couldn't. literary, until this month. Do you still need any support or is there a project that you know of that does?

    Clinging to the cross,
    Andreas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tore! It sounds like you are getting settled. Don't get too settled we want you back! I imagine it was heartbreaking to see the prisons and the brothels. When I lived in Ecuador many years ago, my favorite place to go was the orphanage. I know that you will enjoy leading the teams and I am so proud of you doing God's work. I pray for you each day. Love in Christ, Eileen Lowe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tore, I am so proud of you! God is doing amazing things with you and I am so blessed to know you. Thank you for doing such great things for Him and for letting Him shine through your life and actions. You are such a great role model and friend! I am praying for you as you go through your journey in Haiti. Thank you for keeping everybody posted!
    ~Lauren Hucaby :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tore, so thankful for these updates. I know the God is going to do amazing things in your life and in the lives of those you touch while in Haiti. Please know that you are not alone - there are bunches here praying for you. And God promises in Joshua 1:9 "Have not I commanded thee? Be strong of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest." MISS you. Can't wait for the next installment. HUGS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tore! I am so inspired and in awe of what you are doing for God! I know you will have an amazing time and will grow in so many ways this summer. We will be keeping you in our prayers as you go on this journey.:)
    ~Lisa Marcum

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Tore, Here is a sweet picture of you as one the children He loves:
    Since God chose you to be the holy people He loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. Make allowance for each other’s faults, and forgive anyone who offends you. Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others. Above all, clothe yourselves with love, which binds us all together in perfect harmony. And let the peace that comes from Christ rule in your hearts. For as members of one body you are called to live in peace. And always be thankful. Let the message about Christ, in all its richness, fill your lives. Teach and counsel each other with all the wisdom He gives. Sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs to God with thankful hearts. And whatever you do or say, do it as a representative of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father. Colossians 3:12-17

    ReplyDelete
  8. We love you and miss you, but I know your doing God's work. I enjoy these little updates about how everything is in Haitti, and about your work there. You'll be in our praere's.

    ReplyDelete
  9. SO happy for you, Tore, that you get to have this experience. We are praying for you. So glad you will be with Annie while she is there. We will continue to pray for you both!!!

    ReplyDelete