Sunday, July 14, 2013

Heartbreak From Home


It has been a long time since I have blogged as it has been nearly a year since I was last in Haiti.  Even when I am in Kentucky (or Australia), I hear stories from Haiti that absolutely break my heart.  However, today is different.  Today.. not only was my heartbroken, but my family was deeply impacted. 

Four years ago, my dad and I journeyed on our first Haiti mission trip.  The very first day we were there, my dad made a “friend.”  Throughout the two weeks we were there, this friend followed my dad everywhere.  He never let go of my dad’s hand, and they formed a very special bond.  This friend was Kenzie. 

The next year my dad and I returned to Haiti.  Even though he had no idea we were coming, Kenzie was right there waiting for us.  As soon as my dad stepped off the bus, Kenzie grabbed his hand.  I watched their bond grow even stronger.  Last summer, I had the opportunity to spend three months in Haiti.  I saw Kenzie nearly everyday, and I grew to love him as my own brother.  When my mom came to Haiti in July, she too fell in love with Kenzie.  He impacted her life just as he impacted both mine and my father’s.  We all had made a special bond with this special boy. 

While my mom was there, Kenzie took us to his house because he wanted us to meet his mother.  Kenzie’s father had passed away four years prior, about the time my dad and I made our first trip.  Kenzie’s mother was a beautiful woman, but immediately after arriving to their house, we knew something was not right.  Kenzie’s mom talked funny.  She then showed us the tumor that was growing in her throat.  She had been to an American surgeon, but they said nothing could be done.  The tumor was continuing to grow, and we knew eventually it would cut off her air supply, or she would starve when she could no longer eat. 

Throughout the last year, my family has talked to Kenzie nearly every day.  He quickly became the piece we always felt we were missing.  We went through a lot from Kenzie being in the hospital to his mother being in the hospital.  God has taken care of us all.  We have all grown closer and become a family. 

I knew the day would come eventually, but I cannot describe my shock when Kenzie messaged me this morning saying his mom died today.  My heart is broken.  This boy who means so much to me and my family has gone through enough already.  Not only did he have to watch his father die, but now he has also watched his mother die.  It’s not fair.  Kenzie’s life has been completely turned upside down.  Today he was told he can no longer live in the house he and his mother were living in.  Kenzie is now not only an orphan, but a homeless orphan. 

Just writing that makes me cry because I don’t understand.  I don’t understand God’s plan in this, or why He has put Kenzie through so much.  I do know, however, that His timing is perfect (as always).  In 17 days, my father, Mark, and I will be traveling with a small group to Haiti.  While we are doing everything we can for Kenzie right now, being there will open so many more doors. 

I ask for your prayers for Kenzie.  Pray for peace, comfort, and safety for him.  I also ask that you pray for my family.  There is a lot that needs to be done as we are seeking God’s will for Kenzie’s life with us.  In a perfect world, he would come live with us.  However, we do not live in a perfect world, and things are not that easy.  Pray for guidance and patience as we have a long road ahead of us until our family is complete.  

No comments:

Post a Comment